1. ADUs generate rental income to help homeowners.
2. The expense to build a secondary residence is less because of the owned land.
3. Rents for ADUs tend to be slightly more than for apartments. The are often the only affordable rental choices in single-family neighborhoods, which typically contain no studio or one bedroom housing.
4. ADUs offer young people entry-level housing choices.
5. ADUs enable families to expand beyond their primary home, and have work/home space.
6. ADUs provide empty nesters the option of moving into a smaller space while renting out their larger house or letting an adult child and family reside in it.
7. ADUs are just the right size—At 600 and 1,000 SF, ADUs work well for the one and two bedroom homes needed by today’s smaller, childless households (which are 2/3rds of us now.)
8. ADUs are good for the environment, as most tiny houses are.
9. ADUs are age and disability friendly. For example, garage conversions are among the easiest and least expensive ADU solutions since they're preexisting structures and generally have no-step entries. They are community friendly-with minimal visual impact and do not add to sprawl.
10. New laws make the ADU process quicker, less expensive and there’s even grants and fee waivers available. We can help you-ask us!